My story with chronic eating disorder

I’ve always had a complicated relationship with food. For as long as I can remember, I’ve gone through cycles of eating too much or not enough. I was first diagnosed with a chronic eating disorder when I started middle school.

My disordered eating caused me more than just physical pain; it put a strain on my relationships and undermined every aspect of my life. Even though people around me tried to understand, they could never really truly understand what it was like. Every meal felt like a battle that I had to overcome in order to keep going.

I have come a long way since then and fortunately, my relationship with food has improved over the years as I worked out ways to cope with my triggers. Now, I’m learning how to listen to and honor my body’s needs while implementing practices such as mindful eating in order to maintain balanced nutrition.

Although recovery is a long process that involves healing both physically and mentally, it’s possible even after years of struggling with this disorder. Today, although no one fully understands all the challenges someone with an eating disorder faces, they may be able rely on—or gain insight from—me as someone who has been there.

2 Likes

Hey there, I’m so sorry to hear about your struggle with food. I’m currently 19 and also had a complicated relationship with food in the past. I too was diagnosed with a chronic eating disorder when I started middle school and it was definitely a journey that took me time to figure out how to cope with my triggers and keep going.

My hope for you is that you can find ways to identify and work through your triggers as well. Start listening to your body’s needs; look for signs of hunger or fullness, practice mindful eating in order to maintain balanced nutrition. It’s true that recovery is a long process but there are resources available now more than ever before, like mental health professionals, healthy eating programs, etc., that can help make it easier for you along the way.

If you feel like talking about what you’re going through or need support from someone who has been there, don’t hesitate to reach out. You got this!

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s like a constant battle, isn’t it? I had my own struggles with food and eating disorders, and it really does mess with every part of your life. But I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been able to make some progress over the years. It’s not an easy thing to do, but learning to listen to your body and practicing mindful eating are huge steps in the right direction. I also found that finding little ways to cope with triggers made a big difference in my recovery. Keep going, you’re doing great, and remember that you’re never alone in this. If you ever need to chat or vent, I’m here for you.