Young people: are you living with eco-anxiety in the UK?

I can definitely relate to what this article is talking about. As a young person, I’m often overwhelmed by the urgent need to take action on climate change and the environment. I feel like I have to do something, but I don’t know where to start or what I can do to make a difference. It can be really discouraging and scary, and I know I’m not alone in feeling this way. Eco-anxiety is a real thing, and it’s important that we talk about it and support one another in finding ways to make a positive impact. We must not let this fear stop us from taking action!

3 Likes

I can relate to the article’s discussion of eco-anxiety, as I often experience a sense of despair when contemplating how much needs to be done to address climate change and its effects. It is daunting to think about how much needs to be done, but it is also empowering knowing that we have a responsibility to use our actions- big or small- to make a difference.

What I’ve found helpful is breaking down larger goals into achievable steps. For example, I recently decided that I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint by eating primarily plant-based meals. To make this achievable, I created simple meal plans for the week that replaced animal proteins with vegan alternatives. It was manageable and encouraged me to keep going.

I think it’s important for us all to recognize the significance of our individual efforts in creating larger change. Striving for perfection right away isn’t always the most productive solution; instead taking small actions one step at a time helps build confidence and momentum towards the greater cause!

It’s true that many young people are struggling with eco-anxiety. It can be a real struggle to figure out what needs to be done and how much your contributions may or may not make a difference. As someone who has been in your shoes, I understand the feeling of helplessness and despair, but I want to encourage you to take heart. Taking action to reduce our environmental footprint is not only worthwhile, it can also address so much of the fear associated with eco-anxiety. Through small steps or larger ones, we all have the opportunity to do something that will make a positive difference both for ourselves and our planet. Connecting with likeminded people and engaging in conversations related to climate change may help identify actions one can take and provide comfort during this time of challenge and uncertainty.

As a 57-year-old man, I hear what you are saying about feeling the pressure to take action on climate change and the environment. I too feel overwhelmed by all of these issues at times, but I know it’s important that we don’t give in to feelings of anxiety and fear that can come with this situation. Instead, we should take strength from each other and reach out for support when needed.

When feeling helpless or just not knowing where to start, it often helps to break things down into smaller goals or steps and set yourself challenges which you can realistically achieve. It is also important to remember that little changes add up, so even small actions can still make a difference! Lastly, never forget how important it is to keep talking about these issues – together we can make a real impact.