I’m worried about how my eating disorder could affect a future pregnancy. My eating has been really inconsistent, and I’m scared that poor nutrition or weight changes could cause problems for the baby or make pregnancy harder on my body.
I haven’t decided when I want kids, but this fear keeps popping into my head. I’m trying to get more stable before then, though recovery isn’t exactly a straight line. I’m also nervous about doctors focusing only on weight and missing the mental side of it.
Has anyone worked with an eating disorder specialist before or during pregnancy?
3 Likes
Anthony, the fact that you’re thinking about getting more stable before pregnancy is a good reason to bring this up early, not something you need to feel ashamed of. You don’t have to have everything perfectly fixed before talking with a doctor.
I’d look for an OB or midwife who has worked with eating disorders, plus a therapist and dietitian who understand recovery. You can ask directly how they monitor nutrition and mental health without making every appointment about weight. Having that plan in place ahead of time might take some of the fear out of it.
Pregnancy can bring up a lot of old rules and anxiety, so ongoing support matters even if things seem better at first. Recovery has ups and downs, and needing extra help doesn’t mean you’ve failed.
The worry about doctors focusing only on weight makes a lot of sense. I’d probably ask at the first appointment how they track nutrition, symptoms, and relapse warning signs without making the scale the whole conversation.
An eating disorder specialist could also help you make a plan before pregnancy, especially for handling body changes and meals when anxiety spikes. Could you ask a therapist or primary care doctor for referrals to an OB and dietitian who have worked with this before?
Anthony, I had a similar fear about the scale becoming the entire appointment. One practical thing that helped was writing down my questions and asking the provider to discuss symptoms, meal patterns, labs, and relapse warning signs alongside weight.
A therapist helped me make a plan for difficult pregnancy changes before I needed it. I’d look for an OB and dietitian who specifically understand eating disorders, and ask how they coordinate with your mental health care. You don’t have to wait until you’re planning a pregnancy to start building that support.