Wondering if psychological shock therapy is right for me

I’ve been wondering if shock therapy, or ECT, might be right for me. My depression has gotten pretty severe, and the usual medications haven’t helped enough. I’m scared of the memory problems I’ve read about, but I’m also tired of feeling stuck and barely functioning.

I have an appointment coming up to talk about it. I want to understand how doctors decide someone is a good candidate, what the recovery is actually like, and how long the benefits might last. Has anyone here gone through ECT and found it worthwhile?

2 Likes

James, the part about being scared of memory problems makes sense. I haven’t had ECT, but I’d ask the doctor exactly what kind of memory loss they usually see, how long it tends to last, and whether the treatment setup changes that risk.

It may help to bring a written list of your medications, past treatments, and questions about anesthesia and recovery. I’d also ask what the plan would be if it helps, since some people need follow-up treatments or medication to maintain the benefit. You don’t have to decide before you’ve had that conversation.

James, I had ECT discussed when my depression was barely letting me function, and the thing that helped most at the appointment was bringing someone with me to take notes. I was too foggy and overwhelmed to remember all the details afterward.

Ask about the electrode placement and pulse settings they use, since those choices can affect memory, plus what they expect you to do during recovery. I’d also ask for a specific maintenance plan, including medication or follow-up ECT, rather than treating it as a one-time fix. The memory concerns are real, but your team should explain the likely tradeoff for your situation instead of brushing them off.

1 Like

Bringing someone along to take notes is such a practical suggestion. When depression is that severe, even a clear explanation can disappear by the time you get home. I’d probably bring a written list too, with the questions I most want answered.

Your point about a maintenance plan is especially helpful. Knowing ahead of time how they’d try to preserve the benefit, and what warning signs to watch for, could make the decision feel less like stepping into the unknown.