Wondering if emdr could help me with ptsd

I’ve been wondering if EMDR could help with my PTSD, but the idea of focusing on the memories still makes me nervous. I once had a therapist ask me to describe an event in detail, and I left feeling shaken for the rest of the day, so I’m worried EMDR might do the same thing.

At the same time, I’m tired of reacting to things that aren’t actually happening anymore. Has EMDR helped anyone feel safer in their own body, or did it make things feel worse before they improved?

2 Likes

The part about being shaken for the rest of the day sounds really rough. I’d be nervous too after an experience like that, especially with a treatment that involves memories.

From what I’ve heard, EMDR shouldn’t mean being pushed straight into every detail before you’re ready. A good therapist should spend time on grounding and making sure you can come back to the present. You can ask about that before starting, and it’s okay to stop or slow down if it feels too much.

I haven’t done EMDR myself, but I’d probably ask the therapist how they handle it when someone gets overwhelmed. That answer would tell me a lot.

1 Like

@Brenda_Tucker, that session where you were left shaken would make me cautious too. EMDR shouldn’t require you to give every detail right away. A concrete thing that helped me was asking the therapist to explain the preparation phase and agree on a stop signal before discussing anything difficult.

I also found it useful to practice one grounding exercise in session first, then use it afterward with my feet firmly on the floor and something cold in my hand. Feeling activated can happen, but you shouldn’t feel pressured to push through or leave without a way to settle your body.

@Mike_Barr, asking how they handle overwhelm seems like a really useful way to judge whether the therapist feels safe. I’d want a clear answer about pacing, grounding, and what happens if I need to stop.

I’ve learned that being able to pause isn’t failing at therapy. It’s part of staying within what I can manage, especially when a past memory starts feeling present again.