For years, I thought I had put my childhood behind me. I stayed busy, worked, raised a family, and mostly avoided thinking about what happened. Lately, though, small things can bring everything back. A certain tone of voice, being criticized, or even feeling ignored can leave me tense and upset for hours.
The confusing part is that nothing major has changed recently. I keep wondering why these reactions are showing up now, after I managed for so long. Maybe I was just good at pushing things down, and now I don’t have the same distractions or energy to keep doing that.
Has anyone else had childhood trauma become more noticeable much later in life?
1 Like
Michael, the part about a certain tone of voice setting off hours of tension makes sense to me. Sometimes the body reacts before the conscious mind has figured out what felt threatening. That doesn’t mean you’re going backward or making it up.
I’ve noticed that staying busy can keep old material out of view for a long time, but it may not actually resolve it. When life gets quieter, or the usual distractions lose their effect, those reactions can become harder to ignore. Have you found any particular way to settle yourself after one of those triggers?
2 Likes
@Kenneth_Martin, the body reacting before I can explain it is exactly what throws me. I used to argue with the feeling and try to figure out why I was upset, which usually kept me wound up longer.
One thing that helps is putting both feet on the floor and naming five things I can see, then taking slow breaths with a longer exhale. It sounds simple, but it gives me enough space to notice that the present situation isn’t the old one. After that, I can usually decide whether I need to talk about what happened or just take a break.
@Kenneth_Martin, I’ve found it helps to pause before trying to explain the reaction. I put my feet on the floor, take a few slow breaths, and remind myself that the current situation isn’t the original one.
I also try to step away briefly instead of forcing myself to stay composed. Even a short walk or some quiet time can bring the intensity down enough to think clearly.