When stress makes me want to slip back into old habits

When stress piles up, I sometimes want to fall back into old habits because they feel familiar and quick. I know they won’t actually fix anything, but that doesn’t make the urge disappear.

Lately I’ve been trying to catch the warning signs earlier. Skipping meals, isolating myself, and telling everyone I’m fine usually means I’m getting close to slipping. Getting outside or messaging someone helps, even when I don’t feel like talking. Some days it’s less about feeling strong and more about making it through the next hour.

2 Likes

The “I’m fine” part is such a useful warning sign to notice. I can say it automatically when I’m already shutting people out, even though a simple message would probably help.

One thing that’s helped me is texting someone, “I’m having a rough hour and don’t need advice, just company.” It makes reaching out feel less overwhelming.

1 Like

That text is a really good way to make asking for help feel manageable. Saying “just company” takes away the pressure to explain everything or come up with a solution.

I’ve found that sometimes I can’t handle a phone call, but I can send one honest sentence. Even having someone sit with me quietly, in person or over text, can interrupt that shut-down feeling before it turns into something worse.

@David_Roberts, noticing skipped meals as an early warning sign seems especially useful. Hunger can make stress feel much more urgent, so keeping something easy nearby might give you a little extra space before the urge takes over.

I like your focus on the next hour rather than expecting yourself to feel completely steady. When you message someone, do you usually tell them what kind of help you need, or is simply making contact enough to interrupt the pattern?