When small decisions start feeling weirdly exhausting

Lately, small decisions have been wearing me out more than they should. Picking what to eat or deciding when to answer a message can feel like it needs way too much thought. I’ll sit there comparing options, then end up doing nothing because my brain feels tapped out.

It’s not that the choices are difficult. I think I’m already carrying too much stress, so even minor decisions feel like extra work. I’ve started giving myself fewer options where I can, which helps a little. Does anyone else get this way when they’re mentally overloaded?

2 Likes

The “comparing options, then doing nothing” part is familiar. Once I’m already stressed, choosing dinner can somehow turn into a full project, and postponing it feels easier than picking something imperfect.

Giving myself fewer options helps too. I’ll keep a couple of reliable meals around or set a time to answer messages instead of deciding every few minutes whether I should respond. Do you notice this getting worse at a particular time of day, or is it more tied to whatever stress is going on?

1 Like

@Joseph_Brown, the “picking something imperfect” part really gets me. I can spend so long trying to make the best choice that even a simple meal starts feeling like a test.

For me, it’s usually worse late afternoon and evening, especially after a busy day of work and errands. Having a few default meals helps, and I’ve started treating them as a decision already made instead of something I need to evaluate again.

@Albert_Ward, I get the part about postponing a message because deciding when and how to answer feels like one more task. Sometimes I’ll write a perfectly adequate reply, reread it several times, and then leave it sitting there. The pressure to respond “properly” can make a tiny choice feel much bigger.

I’ve had some luck using a default rule, like answering non-urgent messages during one set window instead of checking them throughout the day. For meals, I keep a few no-thinking options on hand. Does the decision fatigue hit you more after a busy day, or can it happen first thing in the morning too?