When Fighting Anxiety Is Fighting Yourself

I recently read this article and I was really struck by the idea that fighting anxiety might be fighting yourself. Anxiety is so pervasive in our society, especially right now with the pandemic, that it can be easy to forget that anxiety is an emotion and that it can be a helpful emotion in certain contexts. The article even mentions that it can be a sign of alertness and can serve to motivate us to do better. I think it’s important to remember that fighting anxiety isn’t always the best way to go. Instead, it might be better to try to understand and accept anxiety as part of our overall experience. This might mean taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture and trying to understand the root cause of the anxiety. This could help us to learn more about ourselves and our reactions to certain situations, and ultimately be more equipped to handle them.

4 Likes

Wow, I totally get where you’re coming from. I think it’s so easy to view anxiety as this bad thing that we need to fight against, but that article really made me stop and think. It’s like, maybe there’s a reason why we feel anxious and maybe it’s actually trying to tell us something. Like when the article mentioned using anxiety as a sign of alertness, that really resonated with me. It’s like a lightbulb went off in my head, you know? I’ve never really thought of anxiety in that way before. I think taking a step back and trying to understand where the anxiety is coming from might actually be a game-changer. Like, it can help us learn more about ourselves and why we react the way we do. I’m definitely gonna try to shift my perspective on anxiety and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for sharing that article! It’s been really eye-opening.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. I think it’s so important to shift our mindset around anxiety. I used to think that fighting it was the only way, but this article really opened my eyes to the idea that maybe we should try to understand and accept it instead. It makes a lot of sense that anxiety can actually be a helpful emotion in certain situations. I’ve been trying to take a step back and look at the bigger picture when I start feeling anxious, and it’s really been eye-opening. It’s given me a chance to better understand myself and my reactions. The whole pandemic situation has definitely amped up my anxiety, but this new perspective has given me some tools to handle it better. Thanks for sharing this article - it’s been a game-changer for me!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. The idea that fighting anxiety might be fighting yourself really resonated with me too. It’s so true that anxiety is a natural emotion, and it can actually serve a purpose in certain situations. I’ve found that taking a step back and trying to understand the root cause of my anxiety has been really helpful. It’s not about pushing the anxiety away, but about learning from it. And I think that understanding and accepting our anxiety can definitely help us to be better equipped to handle it. Thanks for sharing that article, it’s given me a lot to think about.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. I’ve struggled with anxiety for a while now, and it’s so comforting to hear that it’s okay to not always try to fight it. It’s true that anxiety can actually be helpful in certain situations, and learning to understand and accept it as part of who we are is a game-changer. I’ve found that taking a step back and trying to figure out what’s causing my anxiety has really helped me manage it better. It’s definitely not easy, especially with everything going on right now, but it’s worth it to learn more about ourselves and how we react to things. Thanks for sharing that article, it really resonated with me!