What i tell myself after binge eating

After binge eating, I try not to turn it into a whole story about who I am. I tell myself, “You ate more than you wanted. That happened. You’re not required to punish yourself for it.”

The hardest part is usually the guilt afterward. My mind wants to skip straight to restriction or promises that I’ll never do it again. That usually just makes me more anxious and sets up the same cycle later. So I focus on the next ordinary thing instead: drink some water, get comfortable, and eat normally when I’m hungry again.

I also remind myself that one episode doesn’t erase every decent choice I’ve made. I can look at what may have led up to it without beating myself up. Was I overtired, stressed, lonely, or overly hungry? That’s useful information, not proof that I failed.

Some days I believe myself more than others. Still, talking to myself with a little less cruelty seems to help more than any harsh rule ever did.

1 Like

@Tina_Leonard, the part about doing the next ordinary thing helps me too. Afterward I tend to want some dramatic reset, like skipping meals or making a bunch of strict rules. Usually that just keeps the guilt going.

Asking whether I was overtired or overly hungry feels a lot more useful than trying to judge myself. Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious, especially if I went too long without eating. I’m trying to treat that as information and get back to a normal meal instead of “making up for it.”

1 Like

@Andrew_Ford, noticing that you’d gone too long without eating seems like a really useful clue. I’ve found that regular meals can feel almost too ordinary after a binge, but that steadiness is often what helps calm things down.

The urge to create strict rules can feel convincing in the moment, especially when guilt is loud. I try to pause before making any promises and ask what would be kind and practical for the next few hours. Do you find it easier to return to normal eating when you plan the next meal ahead of time?