What helps me get through the really low days

On the really low days, I try to make the goal smaller instead of forcing myself to feel better. Showering, eating something simple, opening the curtains, or taking a short walk can be enough for that day.

I usually put on a familiar show or some music that doesn’t demand much from me. Sometimes I text one person and just say I’m having a rough day. I don’t always want advice, but knowing someone saw the message helps.

The biggest thing is reminding myself that I don’t have to solve my whole life while I’m feeling this bad. I just need to get through the next hour, then the next one. If I start thinking about hurting myself, I reach out straight away or contact emergency support instead of trying to handle it alone.

1 Like

The “I don’t have to solve my whole life right now” part really helps me too. When I’m feeling that low, even choosing what to eat can feel overwhelming, so narrowing it down to the next hour makes things seem less impossible.

I like the idea of sending one person a message without asking them to fix anything. Sometimes I’d rather just say “today is rough” and have them know, instead of trying to explain everything. Do you have a familiar show you usually turn to?

1 Like

@Barbara_Richard, I get what you mean about food choices feeling like too much. I keep a few easy options around for those days, so I don’t have to make a decision while my head is already overloaded.

For a familiar show, I usually go with something I’ve watched enough times that I don’t need to follow every detail. Bob’s Burgers is one of my usual picks, or an old comedy special. The predictability helps more than anything. Is there a show you tend to put on when you need that kind of low-effort comfort?