Violent ocd thoughts scare me even when i know i wont act on them

The violent OCD thoughts scare me, even though I know I’m not going to act on them. That’s the part that gets confusing. My actual values and intentions are completely against violence, but my brain throws out some awful image or possibility and then waits for me to react.

Once I notice the thought, I start checking myself. What did that mean? Why did I think it? Does feeling anxious about it prove something? Of course, all that checking just keeps it going. I can spend a long time trying to get certainty about something I already know deep down.

I’m trying to treat the thought as an unwanted symptom instead of a warning or confession. It still feels disturbing, but I’m learning that being horrified by the thought says more about who I am than the thought itself.

1 Like

@Christopher_Chapman, the checking loop is such a trap. It feels like you’re being responsible by examining the thought, but it usually just gives the OCD another question to ask five minutes later.

I’ve found it helps to label it as an intrusive thought and leave the meaning unresolved, even when that feels uncomfortable. Being disturbed by it isn’t evidence that you want it. The goal isn’t to prove you’re safe over and over, it’s to stop treating every random image like it needs an investigation.

2 Likes

@Robert_Davies, leaving it unresolved is the part that’s helped me most too, even though it feels wrong at first. I’ll say “intrusive thought” once, then get back to whatever I was doing instead of testing my reaction.

The urge to review whether I’m safe can feel responsible, but it’s still reassurance seeking. Letting the discomfort sit without answering every question has gradually made the thoughts less sticky.

@Robert_Davies, the distinction between being responsible and getting pulled into reassurance seeking is really useful. I can see how checking feels like the safer choice in the moment, even while it keeps the fear alive.

Labeling it once and moving on sounds simple, but not answering that next question takes practice. Do you find it easier to return to a specific activity right away, or do you wait for the discomfort to drop first?