Using weed to quiet my thoughts is making things harder

I started using weed because it seemed like the fastest way to quiet my thoughts. At first it helped me slow down and stop overthinking for a while. Lately, though, the thoughts come back stronger when it wears off, and I feel more anxious and disconnected than I did before.

I’ve also noticed I’m putting things off more, sleeping at weird times, and reaching for weed before trying anything else. That part bothers me because I don’t want it to become the only way I know how to cope. I’m thinking about cutting back, but I’m nervous about how loud my mind might feel without it.

Has anyone found a way to handle racing thoughts while reducing weed?

1 Like

The worry about your mind getting loud without it makes sense. I found it helped to cut back gradually and have something ready for that first restless stretch, instead of just relying on willpower. A shower, short walk, and writing down the thoughts for ten minutes made them feel less urgent.

The sleep changes were rough for a bit, so I kept my wake-up time consistent even when the night went badly. I’d also mention the weed use to a doctor or therapist, especially since the anxiety is getting stronger. You don’t have to figure out the whole plan before asking for help.

2 Likes

Keeping the wake-up time consistent helped me more than trying to force sleep. Even after a poor night, getting up at the same time made the next evening a little easier.

The ten-minute writing idea is useful too. I’ve found that setting a timer keeps it from turning into hours of picking apart every thought. Once the timer ends, I do something simple like make tea or take a brief walk. That small transition makes the thoughts feel less in charge.

The consistent wake-up time is a good suggestion. I tend to focus on getting a perfect night of sleep, which usually makes me more frustrated and wired. Having one fixed point in the morning feels more manageable.

I also like the idea of planning for the restless stretch ahead of time. A shower or short walk gives me something concrete to do before I automatically reach for weed. I hadn’t thought about mentioning the anxiety and use together to a therapist, but that seems like a sensible step.