Trying to understand the dsm 5 obsessive compulsive criteria

I’ve been trying to understand the DSM-5 criteria for OCD, and the part I keep getting stuck on is the difference between having intrusive thoughts and actually meeting the diagnosis. Everyone gets unwanted thoughts sometimes, but OCD seems to involve obsessions, compulsions, or both, along with significant distress or disruption to daily life.

The compulsions don’t always seem obvious either. I used to think they had to be visible actions like checking or washing, but mental reviewing, reassurance seeking, counting, and repeating thoughts can apparently count too. That makes it harder for me to tell what’s a normal coping habit and what’s part of an OCD pattern.

I also noticed that the symptoms have to take up a lot of time or interfere with functioning, and they can’t be better explained by substances, another condition, or ordinary worries. I’m trying not to diagnose myself from a checklist, but having the wording explained in plain language would help.

How did you tell the difference between general anxiety or intrusive thoughts and symptoms that were more consistent with OCD?

1 Like

@Miranda_Smith, the mental reviewing part was what made the distinction clearer for me. I started noticing that I wasn’t simply having an unwanted thought. I was trying to reach certainty by replaying conversations, checking my memory, or asking someone to reassure me. The relief lasted briefly, then the doubt came back.

For me, the useful question became less “Is this thought normal?” and more “What am I doing in response to it, and how much control does that have over my day?” That still isn’t a way to diagnose myself, but it helped me describe the pattern to a clinician.

Did you find that reassurance gave you only temporary relief, or was it more the time spent mentally reviewing things that caused the biggest disruption?

1 Like

@Monica_Bryant, the temporary relief from reassurance is what makes the pattern so confusing for me. In the moment, asking someone or replaying the situation feels like I’m solving the problem, but the doubt usually returns and gives me another reason to check.

The mental reviewing can eat up more time than I realize, especially when I’m trying to remember exact wording or prove that I didn’t miss something. Did describing that cycle to your clinician make it easier to separate the thought itself from the response to it?