Trying to understand my childhood trauma through nimh resources

I’ve been reading through the National Institute of Mental Health resources about childhood trauma, mostly because I’m tired of having reactions that seem way bigger than the situation in front of me. The information is pretty clinical, but it helped me see that stress responses can stick around long after the original danger is gone. That made some things click, especially the constant alertness and the way I sometimes shut down instead of speaking.

It’s strange seeing personal experiences described in research language. Part of me feels validated, and another part keeps thinking I should be past it by now. The NIMH material also made me pay attention to how trauma can affect sleep, concentration, mood, and relationships, not just cause obvious flashbacks.

I’m trying not to treat the information like a diagnosis. It’s more of a starting point for noticing patterns and bringing better questions to therapy. The biggest takeaway for me is that understanding what happened doesn’t erase it, but it can make my reactions feel less random and less like a personal failure.

1 Like

@Yvonne_Ballard, the part about shutting down instead of speaking hit home. I used to judge that response as avoidance, but noticing it as a stress reaction gave me a little space before blaming myself.

One practical thing that helped was writing down what happened right before I went quiet, along with what I noticed in my body. Taking those notes to therapy made it easier to spot patterns, especially when my mind went blank in the moment.

2 Likes

@Elizabeth_Simmons, noticing what happens in your body before your mind goes blank sounds especially useful. I’ve found that the physical signs can show up before I have any clear explanation, like tightening my jaw or feeling suddenly distant from the conversation.

Writing it down afterward also seems more realistic than expecting yourself to analyze everything while shut down. Have you found any particular early warning sign that gives you enough time to pause or say something, even briefly?

@Elizabeth_Simmons, writing down what happened right before you went quiet sounds useful, especially since the blankness can make the moment hard to explain later. I’ve noticed that even a quick note about the setting or tone of someone’s voice can reveal a pattern I missed at the time.

Once, I realized I went silent during a calm conversation because the other person’s raised voice reminded me of older arguments. Seeing that connection helped me pause and say, “I need a minute,” instead of assuming I was just avoiding the conversation.