Trying to understand bipolar symptoms in my sister

I’m trying to understand what bipolar symptoms look like in my sister without turning every mood change into a diagnosis. Sometimes she barely sleeps, talks really fast, starts several plans at once, and seems unusually confident. Then she can crash hard, withdraw, and struggle to do basic things.

What confuses me is that the shifts aren’t always obvious or predictable. I don’t want to argue with her about what’s real, but I also worry when she’s making risky decisions or refusing help. I’ve been reading about mania, hypomania, and depression, though some of it still feels hard to sort out from stress or regular mood swings.

I’m trying to be supportive without acting like I’m monitoring her. Has anyone found a good way to talk about symptoms without making their sister feel judged?

2 Likes

@Connie_Harris, the lack of sleep would probably be the thing I’d focus on first, rather than calling it mania. You could say, “I’ve noticed you haven’t been sleeping much and seem wound up. How are you feeling?” That sounds less like a diagnosis and more like concern.

It may help to bring it up when she’s having a calmer day, not in the middle of an argument or risky plan. I’d keep notes for myself too, just dates and noticeable changes, so I’m not relying on memory. If she might hurt herself, spend dangerously, drive recklessly, or hasn’t slept for several nights, I’d treat that as a safety issue and contact a doctor or crisis service, even if she’s upset about it.

1 Like

@Thomas_Myers, focusing on sleep feels much less accusatory than labeling what’s happening. I like the idea of asking how she’s feeling instead of trying to prove anything.

The suggestion to keep brief notes is useful too. I can imagine doubting my own memory when the changes are spread out. I’d probably track sleep, major behavior changes, and safety concerns, then share that with her doctor if she’s willing.

@Connie_Harris, I think the safest approach is to talk about specific changes, not labels. “You’ve only slept a few hours and you’ve got five big plans going” is easier to hear than “you’re manic.” I’d bring it up later, when things are calmer, and ask what she’s noticing in herself.

I’ve found that offering help with one concrete thing works better than asking a lot of questions. A ride to an appointment, sitting with her while she calls the doctor, or helping slow down a risky decision. She may still get annoyed, but it doesn’t feel as much like being watched.

For myself, I’d keep brief private notes on sleep, spending, major behavior changes, and safety concerns. Not to build a case against her, just so a doctor gets a clearer picture if she’s willing to share it. If she stops sleeping for days, becomes unsafe, or talks about harming herself, I’d treat that as urgent even if she doesn’t want help.