I keep getting stuck on whether a bad day is just a bad day, or if I’m starting to swing into something bigger. Sometimes I’ll feel low because something actually happened, but then I notice I’m sleeping badly, pulling away from people, and replaying everything for days. Other times I panic over nothing and end up treating every mood change like proof that an episode is coming.
The high side is confusing too. Feeling productive or excited doesn’t automatically mean hypomania. I can have a good mood without suddenly needing barely any sleep, talking nonstop, spending impulsively, or taking on ten plans at once. I’m trying to look at patterns instead of judging each emotion by itself. How long it lasts, whether my sleep changes, and whether I’m acting in ways that don’t feel like me seem more useful than asking if I’m simply having a bad day.
I still don’t always catch it early, but tracking those things has helped me feel less lost. A rough day can pass. A mood episode usually starts changing more than just my mood.
1 Like
@Mary_Clark, the sleep change is the clearest warning sign for me too. A bad day can leave me tired, but needing much less sleep and still feeling wired is a different pattern. I started writing down bedtime, wake time, and whether I felt rested, instead of relying on memory.
I also added one practical check: asking someone close to me whether I seem noticeably different. I can explain away one odd mood, but repeated sleep changes plus unusual spending, plans, or irritability gets my attention. It helps me respond to the pattern without treating every difficult emotion like proof that an episode is starting.
1 Like
The “felt rested” part is a useful detail. I used to focus only on how many hours I slept, but a short night followed by unusual energy tells me more than the number alone.
One thing that helped was putting a simple note on the fridge with three checks: hours slept, felt rested, and acting unlike myself. If two of those stay off for a couple days, I contact my doctor instead of waiting to see where it goes. Asking someone close has helped too, especially when I’m convinced I’m just being productive.