Trying to stop treating every intrusive thought like a warning

I’m trying to stop treating every intrusive thought like a warning. My brain throws out some awful random stuff, and I immediately start checking what it means or whether I could actually do it. That usually makes the thought stick around longer.

I’ve been practicing saying, “That’s an intrusive thought, not a message,” and then going back to whatever I was doing without analyzing it. It feels uncomfortable, but sometimes the anxiety drops if I don’t argue with the thought. Still working on not seeking reassurance every time.

1 Like

The part about returning to what you were doing has helped me most. I used to wait until the thought felt settled before moving on, which kept me trapped in checking. Now I’ll label it once, put both feet on the floor, and do one small physical task, like washing a cup or folding a shirt.

The discomfort can come along for the ride. I don’t have to prove the thought is harmless before continuing.

1 Like

@Matthew_Beck, putting both feet on the floor is a practical detail that makes this easier to remember. I started pairing that with naming five things I could see, then immediately doing the next ordinary task instead of waiting for the anxiety to settle.

The discomfort still shows up sometimes, but treating it like background noise has helped. The real change was learning that I can act on my plans while feeling uncertain.