I’ve spent a lot of time trying to manage everyone else’s mental health before they even ask for help. I check in constantly, try to predict what might upset them, and feel guilty if someone is struggling around me. It gets exhausting, but stepping back makes me feel selfish, even when I know their feelings aren’t mine to fix.
Lately I’m trying to pause before jumping in. Sometimes I’ll ask if they want support instead of immediately offering solutions. Other times I just remind myself that being there for someone doesn’t mean taking responsibility for their recovery. I’m still pretty bad at this, especially when someone close to me is having a rough time.
How do you learn to care about people without feeling responsible for keeping them okay?
2 Likes
Thomas, asking whether someone wants support before jumping into solutions seems like a really useful boundary. I’ve had to remind myself that caring can mean listening for ten minutes, not staying on alert all evening.
One thing that helps me is setting a clear limit before I check in, like sending one message and then putting my phone down. I still feel guilty sometimes, but the guilt usually fades when I remember that their feelings aren’t a task I failed to complete.
1 Like
@Kyle_Marquez, the one-message limit is a practical idea. I tend to keep checking my phone because I’m afraid silence means something has gotten worse, but that usually just keeps me tense without actually helping.
I’m going to try putting the phone down after checking in and choosing a specific time to look again. The guilt may still show up, but I don’t have to treat it like an instruction.
@Thomas_Lynch, asking whether they want support before offering solutions is a good pause. I’ve had to learn that “Can I listen, or do you want ideas?” keeps me from rushing in and taking over.
The guilt still shows up for me, especially when someone close is having a bad day. I try to ask myself whether they actually asked me to do something, or whether I’m reacting to my own fear. If there’s no clear request, I can care, send one message, and let them have some space. It feels selfish at first, but it’s really just a limit.