Trying to stop controlling every little detail

Title: Loosening my grip on small details

I’ve been trying to stop controlling every little thing, and it’s harder than I expected. Last week I let someone else handle the grocery order instead of checking every item and changing half of it. Nothing went badly, but I still felt tense waiting for it to arrive.

The strange part is that I know most of these details don’t really matter. I just get stuck thinking that if I don’t manage them, something will go wrong and it’ll somehow be my fault. I’m practicing leaving a few things unfinished or done differently without immediately stepping in.

Does anyone have a simple way to catch themselves before taking control again?

2 Likes

Dale, the grocery order sounds like a good place to practice. You let the discomfort be there without treating it as proof that you needed to take over.

I’ve found it helps to pause and ask, “Is this actually unsafe, or just different from how I’d do it?” If it’s only different, I try waiting ten minutes before making a correction. Sometimes I still choose to change something later, but the pause keeps the urge from making the decision for me.

The grocery order is a good example because the waiting seems to be the hardest part, not the actual result. I get that feeling too. My brain treats the tension like a warning, even when nothing is really wrong.

I’ve started saying, “I’m uncomfortable, but I’m not responsible for fixing this right now.” Then I put a little time between the urge and the action, sometimes by making coffee or doing something in another room. It doesn’t erase the urge, but it gives me a chance to see whether anything actually needs my attention.