Staying sober while getting my mental health under control has been harder than I expected. When anxiety or depression gets bad, my brain starts looking for the fastest way to shut everything off. That’s usually when cravings show up.
Therapy and medication help, but neither one fixes things overnight. I’m trying to keep a basic routine, be honest with my treatment team, and not disappear when I’m having a rough week. Some days, staying sober feels like the only thing I managed to do right. For now, that’s enough.
2 Likes
The part about not disappearing during a rough week really stood out to me. That can be harder than it sounds when depression is telling you to isolate, so staying connected to your treatment team is a pretty big step.
I’ve had days where keeping sober was the only productive thing I could manage, and I had to stop treating that like a failure. Do you have someone you can contact when cravings hit before they get overwhelming?
@Ryan_Dixon, keeping your sobriety intact on a bad mental health day is a real accomplishment, not something to brush off. I’ve had nights where the only useful plan was getting through the next hour without making things worse.
One thing that helped me was telling my therapist about cravings early, before they turned into an emergency. It made the conversation less intimidating and gave us time to adjust the plan.
1 Like
@Jeffrey_Curtis, telling your therapist before cravings become an emergency is a smart distinction. I used to wait until things felt unmanageable, which made asking for help feel much more dramatic than it needed to be.
Breaking the night into smaller pieces has helped me too. Sometimes I focus only on getting through dinner, taking a shower, or making one phone call. Not glamorous, but it keeps a bad stretch from turning into a decision I’ll regret.