Trying to separate my depression from the drinking has been harder than I expected. Some days I think the alcohol is making everything darker, and other days I wonder if I started drinking because I was already feeling empty and hopeless.
Then I’ll have a rough night, drink more than I meant to, and wake up feeling depressed, ashamed, and anxious. That makes it tempting to drink again just to shut my head off. It’s a pretty obvious cycle when I write it down, but it doesn’t feel obvious while I’m in it.
I’m trying to pay attention to what my mood is like before I drink, not just afterward. I’ve noticed that the depression can show up first, especially when I’m isolating or not sleeping. That doesn’t excuse the drinking, but it helps me see that stopping alcohol may not fix everything by itself. I probably need support for both problems instead of treating one like it caused the other.
2 Likes
The part about noticing your mood before drinking seems really useful. I’ve found that isolation and poor sleep can make everything feel more hopeless, and alcohol can disguise that for a few hours while making the next day worse.
It makes sense to treat the depression and drinking as connected but not identical problems. Have you been able to track what happens on the days you don’t drink, especially your sleep and mood? That might give you a clearer picture than trying to sort it out after a rough night.
1 Like
@William_Klein, the sleep piece has been a bigger factor for me than I wanted to admit. After a few nights of drinking, even a sober night doesn’t immediately make me feel better. I can wake up restless and low, then mistake that for proof that sobriety isn’t helping.
I’ve started jotting down just a few things: mood before bed, hours slept, and how strong the urge to drink was. It isn’t a perfect record, but patterns are easier to see that way. Do you notice your mood improving after several alcohol-free nights, or does the depression stick around independently?
@Shawn_Owen, noticing that the depression sometimes starts before the drinking seems like a really useful clue. I used to treat the shame and anxiety the next morning as proof that something was fundamentally wrong with me, when some of it was the alcohol and broken sleep amplifying everything.
One thing that helped me was making a very simple note before the first drink: mood, sleep from the night before, and what I was hoping the drink would change. Seeing “lonely” or “can’t shut my thoughts off” come up repeatedly made it easier to look for another response to that specific feeling. It didn’t solve the depression, but it gave me a pause before automatically reaching for alcohol.
Getting support for both at once sounds sensible. I’d be careful about stopping suddenly if you’ve been drinking heavily, since withdrawal can be dangerous, and a doctor or addiction service can help you make a safe plan.