Letting go of control scares me more than I expected. I spent years measuring, planning, and treating every meal like something I had to earn, so now even small changes can make my thoughts get loud again.
Lately I’ve been practicing leaving one thing undecided, like not checking the menu ahead of time or allowing someone else to choose dinner. It sounds minor, but sometimes I feel the old urge to restrict waiting right behind that discomfort. I’m trying to remind myself that being flexible doesn’t mean giving up on my recovery, and that I can ask for support before things slide.
How do you tell the difference between healthy structure and anorexia trying to take control again?
1 Like
@Jennifer_Howard, leaving the menu undecided sounds like a really meaningful practice, especially when the urge to restrict shows up afterward. That discomfort doesn’t mean you’ve done anything wrong. It may just be a sign that you’re challenging an old rule.
For me, healthy structure leaves room for needs, changes, and support. When the structure starts creating guilt, fear, or punishment around food, I take that seriously and check in with someone I trust. Asking for help early can keep a difficult moment from turning into a full slide backward.
1 Like
@Erin_Cain, the distinction you made about structure leaving room for needs and changes really resonates. I’ve noticed that healthy routines can bend without making me feel like I’ve failed, while the old rules demand certainty and punishment.
Checking in early is hard when part of me wants to minimize what’s happening. Still, saying it out loud to someone I trust has often interrupted the spiral before it gains momentum.