I’m trying to get my addiction and mental health under control, but I keep feeling like fixing one makes the other harder. When my anxiety or depression gets bad, I want to use. Then using leaves me feeling worse and makes it harder to deal with anything.
I’ve started looking into therapy and support groups, though admitting I need help has been uncomfortable. I’m trying to focus on small steps instead of expecting everything to change at once. Some days that just means being honest with someone and getting through the next few hours.
How did others start making progress without getting overwhelmed?
2 Likes
Dawn, focusing on the next few hours sounds like a sensible place to start. I found that trying to solve my mental health and substance use all at once usually left me frozen, so I picked one immediate task and told one person when cravings or anxiety were getting worse.
One small thing that helped me was making a short list for those moments: drink water, leave the room, call someone, and wait ten minutes before making any decision. It didn’t fix everything, but it gave me enough space to get through some rough evenings.
1 Like
The ten-minute pause is a useful idea. I’ve found that cravings can feel permanent when I’m in them, but delaying the decision gives the intensity a chance to drop.
I also like that your list includes leaving the room and calling someone, not just trying to think my way through it. Changing my surroundings has sometimes helped more than arguing with myself. Having the list written down ahead of time would probably make it easier to use when anxiety is already high.
Dawn, being honest with someone during the next few hours is a solid starting point. I used to wait until things felt unbearable before reaching out, which usually left me with fewer choices.
One practical thing that helped was making a plan for the specific time of day when cravings usually hit. I wrote down who I could call, where I could go, and one easy activity to occupy the first 20 minutes. Having those decisions made ahead of time took away some of the pressure when my head was already spinning.
Therapy or a support group can help connect the anxiety and substance use instead of treating them like separate problems. I’d bring up that pattern directly so they can help you build one manageable plan.