Trying to get help for my mental health and drinking

I keep putting off getting help because I’m embarrassed about how much I drink, but my anxiety and low mood have gotten harder to manage. I’ll promise myself I’m going to cut back, then have a rough evening and reach for a drink before I’ve even really thought about it. A few months ago I cancelled a therapy appointment after drinking earlier that day, and I still feel bad about it.

I’m worried that a regular mental health service will focus only on the alcohol, while an addiction service might not take the depression seriously. Has anyone found a place that treats both at the same time?

1 Like

Cancelling that appointment doesn’t mean you failed or wasted your chance. I did something similar once, and the shame kept me away longer than the drinking itself. When I finally called back, I was honest and said I needed help with both alcohol and my mood.

The most useful thing was asking specifically for a dual-diagnosis or co-occurring disorders service. They were used to treating depression and drinking together, rather than making me prove which one came first. If you call, you could ask whether they offer integrated care and what their policy is if you’ve been drinking that day.

1 Like

The part about shame keeping you away longer than the drinking really hit me. I’ve put off making calls because I didn’t want to explain myself, then felt even worse for waiting.

Asking about their policy if someone has been drinking that day is a practical tip too. I’d probably worry they’d turn me away, so knowing that before the appointment could make it easier to actually show up. Integrated care sounds like the right thing to ask for, instead of having to split everything into separate problems.