Trying to find treatment that helps with addiction and anxiety

I’ve been trying to find treatment that helps with both addiction and anxiety, but most of the options I’ve found seem focused on one or the other. When my anxiety gets bad, I start thinking about using because it feels like the fastest way to calm down, then the regret and panic make everything worse.

I’ve tried talking with people before, but I haven’t found a plan that feels realistic for both problems at the same time. I probably need more structure than occasional appointments, but the idea of residential treatment makes me nervous too. I don’t want to be treated like my anxiety is just an excuse, or like the addiction is the only thing that matters.

Has anyone found a treatment program or approach that actually addressed both addiction and anxiety together?

1 Like

@William_Lyons, the connection you described between anxiety, using, and the panic afterward seems like something treatment should address as one cycle, not split into separate problems. A dual-diagnosis or co-occurring-disorders program may be worth asking about specifically, since they’re set up to treat substance use and anxiety together.

You might also ask about intensive outpatient treatment. It can offer more structure than occasional appointments without requiring residential care, and some programs include therapy, medication evaluation, group support, and relapse planning. I’d ask directly how they handle anxiety during cravings and whether they coordinate care between the therapist and prescriber.

Have you been able to ask any programs what happens when someone says anxiety is a trigger for using? Their answer might tell you pretty quickly whether they’ll treat both issues seriously.

1 Like

The suggestion to ask how they handle anxiety during cravings is especially useful. That seems like a good way to tell whether a program has practical tools ready, rather than just listing anxiety as a diagnosis.

I’d also want to know whether they offer support between appointments, since the hardest moments probably won’t happen during scheduled sessions. Even a clear crisis plan and someone to call could make treatment feel more realistic.