Finding the right treatment for post-traumatic psychosis has been harder than I expected. One medication dulled everything so much that I could barely function, while another seemed to make my anxiety and sleep worse. I’ve been trying to track symptoms, sleep, side effects, and what happens after stressful events, but some days even filling in a log feels like too much.
The hardest part is explaining that the trauma symptoms and psychosis seem connected, but they aren’t exactly the same thing. My psychiatrist is taking it slowly, which I appreciate, and we’re focusing on stability before doing deeper trauma work. I’m still frustrated by how much trial and error there is.
Has anyone found a treatment combination that helped without making them feel completely numb?
2 Likes
The part about tracking everything really hit me. When sleep is already bad and your head feels overloaded, a detailed log can feel like another task you’re failing at. I’ve found it easier to jot down just sleep, medication time, and the biggest symptom of the day. Even a few words can show patterns without turning it into homework.
Taking trauma work slowly makes sense too. I’d be wary of pushing into it while things are still unstable, especially if a medication is already making anxiety or sleep worse. I hope your psychiatrist can find something that helps without flattening out the parts of you that still feel like you.
The distinction between trauma symptoms and psychosis sounds especially hard to explain when they overlap. I’ve had appointments where I brought pages of notes, then realized the clearest part was simply saying what changed first, whether it was sleep, anxiety, or unusual thoughts.
One small thing that helped me was keeping a very short daily note with just sleep, medication timing, and one sentence about how I felt. On worse days, I skipped it without treating that as failure. A treatment plan that reduces symptoms without wiping out your ability to function seems like a reasonable goal.