I’m trying to find the right dual diagnosis help for my teenager, and I’m realizing how hard it is to find a program that treats both mental health and substance use instead of acting like one problem is separate from the other.
One place we spoke with focused almost entirely on substance use. They barely asked about anxiety and depression, even though those symptoms seem tied together. Another program sounded more mental-health focused but didn’t seem prepared for relapse or withdrawal concerns. It’s frustrating, especially when my teenager shuts down around new providers and we have to start over each time.
Has anyone found a teen program where the clinicians genuinely coordinate both sides of treatment?
1 Like
Michael, the biggest help for us was asking each program one direct question: “Who is responsible for coordinating the mental health and substance-use treatment?” If they couldn’t name a person or explain how the clinicians share updates, I took that as a warning sign.
I also asked whether they could keep the same therapist involved if a higher level of care became necessary. Having one familiar person carry information forward made shutting down less of an issue and meant we weren’t retelling everything from scratch.
1 Like
@Scott_Meyer, keeping the same therapist involved was a really practical point. In our case, I asked for a written transition plan before agreeing to a higher level of care. It listed the diagnoses being considered, current medications, safety concerns, and who would call whom after discharge.
That one page saved a lot of confusion when different providers started using different terms. I’d also ask how quickly the therapist gets an update after an intake, not just whether they’re allowed to stay involved.