Trying to find my voice in mental health advocacy

I’ve been trying to find my voice in mental health advocacy, and I keep getting stuck between wanting to say something useful and worrying I’ll say it wrong. At one coalition meeting, I finally shared how confusing it was to find help when I was struggling. I expected to feel embarrassed, but a couple people said they’d had the same problem. That stayed with me.

I’m learning that advocacy doesn’t have to mean having perfect words or knowing every policy. Sometimes it’s just being honest about what made getting support harder than it needed to be. How did you find the confidence to speak up?

3 Likes

The part about people saying they’d had the same problem makes sense to me. I’ve found that specific experiences often land better than trying to sound like an expert. Saying, “I couldn’t figure out where to start,” can be more useful than giving a polished explanation.

At one meeting, I wrote down two points beforehand and focused on those instead of trying to cover everything. I still felt nervous, but having something concrete to return to helped.

That moment when people said they’d run into the same problem seems like a good sign that your honest description was useful, even without perfect wording. Sometimes the confusing part of getting help is exactly what needs to be said out loud.

I’ve found confidence usually comes after speaking, not before. I’ll write down one experience and one practical change I’d like to see, then let that be enough for the meeting. Do you think having a couple of those points prepared would make it easier to speak up again?

Alexis, I’ve found it helps to prepare one concrete example rather than trying to explain the entire issue. I once wrote down the exact point where I got stuck while looking for support, and sharing that felt much easier than making a broad statement about the system.

The confidence usually comes afterward for me. Hearing someone say, “That happened to me too,” made me realize that imperfect words can still give people something they recognize.