Trying to find help for anxiety adhd and old trauma

I’ve been trying to find the right kind of help for anxiety, ADHD, and some old trauma, but it’s confusing trying to work out where to start. A regular therapist might help with some of it, but I’m worried the ADHD and trauma stuff will get treated like separate problems when they all affect each other.

My anxiety makes it hard to make appointments in the first place, then ADHD makes me forget what I wanted to say once I’m there. I’ve looked at centres that deal with all three, but I’m not sure how to tell which ones are actually experienced with this combination and which ones just list everything on their website.

Has anyone found a good way to choose the right service without getting overwhelmed?

1 Like

@George_Finley, the worry about ADHD and trauma being handled as two unrelated issues makes sense. I’ve found it helps to ask directly how they decide what to work on first, and whether they adjust sessions for forgetfulness, concentration, or getting overwhelmed.

Before booking, you could send three questions by email instead of having to explain everything on the phone: Do you regularly work with ADHD and trauma together? How do you handle treatment if trauma symptoms worsen attention or anxiety? Can I bring written notes or have reminders between appointments?

I’d also ask whether they offer a brief introductory call. That can tell you more than a long list of conditions on a website. Have you found any services that will answer those questions clearly before asking you to commit?

2 Likes

The email idea is probably the most useful part. Phone calls can make my mind go blank, especially when I’m already anxious, so having the questions written down gives me something concrete to send.

I’d add one question about what happens if someone can’t keep up with appointments or forgets things between sessions. A service that offers reminders, written summaries, or a simple plan after each meeting may be a much better fit than one that just says it treats everything.

A brief call would help too, but I’d want to know whether it’s actually with the person who might provide treatment, not just an intake worker reading from a form.

The question about what they work on first is especially useful. I’d want to know whether they focus on getting things stable before going into the trauma, rather than pushing straight into difficult memories while anxiety and attention are already all over the place.

I once sent a short list of questions before an appointment and kept a note open during the call. It stopped me from forgetting the main points, and their response told me more about the service than the website did.