Trying to find dual diagnosis help that teens will actually accept

Finding dual diagnosis help that a teen will actually accept is harder than I expected. I remember sitting in a parking lot with my nephew, trying to convince him to go into an intake appointment while he kept saying the place was only for “really messed up people.” Once he felt judged, the conversation was over.

I’m looking for something that treats the mental health and substance use issues together, but doesn’t feel like a punishment or a lecture. A program can have great credentials and still fail if teens refuse to engage with it. Has anyone found treatment that felt approachable enough for a reluctant teen to give it a real chance?

1 Like

@Joshua_Blankenship, that parking lot moment says a lot. If a teen already feels labeled, even a well-intended intake can sound like confirmation that something is wrong with them.

A less clinical first step might help, such as meeting with a counselor in a familiar setting or choosing a program that includes recreational activities and family sessions. Giving them a say in the therapist, schedule, or treatment goals can make it feel less like a punishment. It may take a few tries, but finding someone who listens without lecturing seems key.

1 Like

@Jennifer_Rogers, giving them a say in the therapist and treatment goals can make a big difference. One thing that helped someone I know was letting the teen choose between two counselors instead of being told who they had to see. That small choice made the first appointment feel less like a consequence.

I also like the idea of family sessions being included without making every meeting a group confrontation. A counselor who starts with the teen’s own goals, like sleeping better, staying out of trouble, or keeping up with friends, may build trust before bringing up substance use directly.