Trying to figure out which ocd pattern fits me

I’m trying to figure out which OCD pattern fits me, but the labels are making me more confused than helped. My thoughts don’t always look like the examples I read about. Sometimes it’s checking, sometimes it’s mental reviewing, and sometimes it’s getting stuck on whether I feel “right” about something.

The hardest part is that I keep analyzing the pattern itself. Then I wonder if I’m just looking for certainty again. I’m trying to focus less on finding the perfect category and more on noticing the cycle behind it. Has anyone else found the labels confusing?

2 Likes

@Shannon_Lopez, the labels confused me too, especially when the same worry could turn into checking one day and mental reviewing the next. I started paying more attention to the urge to get a definite answer than to which category it belonged in.

For example, I once spent a long time replaying a conversation to decide whether I had sounded “wrong.” Nothing new came from it, but I kept treating one more review as if it might finally settle things. Noticing that cycle helped more than naming it.

1 Like

@Shannon_Lopez, the part about analyzing the pattern itself really clicked for me. I’ve caught myself turning OCD into a classification problem, as if finding the exact label would finally tell me what to do.

One example was repeatedly checking whether a decision felt “right” before moving on. The checking changed forms, but the demand for certainty stayed the same. Focusing on that demand has been more useful than figuring out the perfect category.

@Justin_Baker, the conversation replay example makes sense to me. I’ve had that same feeling that one more mental review will reveal the missing detail, even when I already know I’m repeating the same points.

The tricky part is that the urge can sound reasonable, like I’m just trying to learn from what happened. But when the goal shifts to feeling completely certain I didn’t sound wrong, it never seems to finish. Do you have a way of noticing that shift before you get pulled into reviewing?