After trauma and depression, feeling safe again has been harder than I expected. Nothing is always wrong, but my body still acts like something bad is about to happen. I stay tense, overthink small changes, and sometimes pull away from people even when I want company.
Therapy has helped me notice those reactions without judging myself for them. I’m trying to keep a simple routine, get outside, and remind myself that being on alert doesn’t mean I’m actually in danger. Some days that works better than others.
The hardest part is trusting calm moments. I’m slowly learning that peace can be real and doesn’t have to be followed by something awful.
1 Like
@Larry_Powell, the part about not trusting calm moments really hit home. I’ve had times when everything was fine, but I kept waiting for the next problem, as if relaxing would leave me unprepared.
One small thing that helped was sitting outside with my feet on the ground and naming a few things I could see and hear. It didn’t erase the tension, but it gave my body a little evidence that nothing was happening right then.
1 Like
@Megan_Rios, I like how you described giving your body evidence instead of trying to argue the fear away. That feels more doable than telling myself to just relax.
I’ve found it helps to name the date, where I am, and one thing I can control when I notice that waiting-for-disaster feeling. Even something small, like making tea or locking up for the night, gives my brain a clear signal that I’m in the present and not back in the old situation.