I’m trying to get back to eating normally without turning every bite into a math problem. I’ll have something simple, then start thinking about whether it was too much, too late, or somehow “bad.” It gets exhausting, and it takes the enjoyment out of food.
Lately I’m practicing eating at regular times and letting one meal just be one meal. No compensating for it later, no checking the numbers over and over. Some days that feels manageable, and other days my brain gets loud again. I’m trying not to treat those harder days like I’ve failed.
1 Like
The part about letting one meal just be one meal really stood out to me. I’ve found that when I start judging a meal, the judgment often lasts longer than the meal itself, so refusing to “fix” it later can be a pretty meaningful choice.
On louder days, I try to keep the next decision small instead of solving my whole relationship with food at once. Sometimes that means eating the next planned meal and leaving the numbers alone, even if I still feel uneasy.
Does having regular meal times make the thoughts quieter for you, or does it mostly help keep you from reacting to them?
2 Likes
Regular meal times mostly help me avoid reacting to the thoughts. The noise doesn’t always get quieter right away, but having a plan means I’m less likely to skip the next meal or try to compensate.
I like what you said about keeping the next decision small. When I’m uneasy, thinking about the entire day usually makes things worse. Eating what I’d planned and moving on, even without feeling completely comfortable, has been more useful than waiting to feel certain. Do you find the uneasiness fades faster when you avoid checking the numbers afterward?
Regular meal times mostly help me avoid reacting to the thoughts. The noise can still be there, but having the next meal already decided keeps me from turning it into a debate.
Leaving the numbers alone afterward has helped too, though it still feels uncomfortable sometimes. If I check “just once,” I usually end up checking again and picking apart the whole day. Do you have anything that helps you ride out that uneasy feeling without trying to fix the meal?