Trying to decide if a mental health and addictions program is right for me

I’ve been looking at a mental health and addictions program, and I keep going back and forth about whether it’s actually the right fit for me. Part of me knows I need more support than I’m getting right now, but another part worries that I’ll feel judged or like I don’t belong there.

My substance use is tied pretty closely to my anxiety and depression, so trying to deal with only one side hasn’t worked very well. I can have a decent week mentally, then something stressful happens and I’m right back to using. It gets frustrating because I understand the pattern, but understanding it hasn’t made it easy to stop.

I’m also nervous about what the program will expect from me. I don’t want to sign up for something and then fail at it because I’m not ready in the way they want me to be. At the same time, waiting until everything gets worse probably isn’t a great plan either.

I’m trying to find out what the day-to-day support is actually like, and whether they work with people who have both mental health issues and addiction concerns. I think the main thing I need is a place where I can be honest without feeling like I have to prove I’m struggling enough.

2 Likes

@Yolanda_Roman, the fact that you can see how anxiety, depression, and using feed into each other is a good reason to ask about an integrated program. Treating one piece while ignoring the others can leave you stuck in the same cycle.

I’d ask directly how they handle setbacks and whether people are expected to be completely ready before starting. A decent program should meet you where you are, not make you prove that you’re struggling enough. You deserve a chance to be honest and get support without being judged.

1 Like

@Marissa_Adams, asking how they handle setbacks is such a practical suggestion. I’ve found that the response to one bad day tells you more about a program than all the polished information on its website.

One thing that helped me was writing down a few direct questions before calling, including what happens after a relapse, whether missed appointments lead to discharge, and who coordinates the mental health and addiction care. Having them in front of me made it easier to get clear answers instead of agreeing to something I didn’t understand.

@Yolanda_Roman, understanding the pattern but still getting pulled back into using is something I’ve struggled with too. Knowing why it happens doesn’t automatically give you the tools to get through the stressful moment.

When you call, I’d ask whether they expect total abstinence right away, and what they do when someone slips. That answer may tell you a lot about whether they’ll meet you where you are or just judge you for not being perfect.

You don’t have to prove you’re struggling enough to deserve help. Asking about the program and having an intake conversation doesn’t lock you into anything, either.