I’m considering dual diagnosis therapy because my drinking and anxiety seem to keep feeding each other, but I’m unsure what the first sessions are actually like. I’ve had counseling before where we focused on one problem and the other just sat in the background, so I’m worried about feeling overwhelmed or judged.
A few years ago, I went to therapy for panic attacks and was told to cut back on alcohol. I tried, but nobody really asked what was happening before I drank, so I eventually stopped going. Now I’m wondering if working on both issues together would make more sense, even if it feels uncomfortable at first.
Has dual diagnosis therapy helped anyone understand which issue to tackle first?
2 Likes
@Bethany_Peterson, the fact that nobody asked what was happening before you drank sounds like a big piece that got missed. Knowing the trigger and what alcohol seems to do for you could help make the pattern clearer, instead of just being told to cut back.
My understanding is that dual diagnosis therapy doesn’t necessarily make you pick one issue first. A therapist can help with anxiety and drinking at the same time, while keeping the pace manageable. You could ask in the first session how they handle overwhelm and judgment, and whether they’ll work with you on both triggers and coping tools.
@Bethany_Peterson, being told to cut back without anyone asking what came before the drinking would have left me feeling pretty stuck too. The timing can reveal whether alcohol is being used to quiet panic, avoid a situation, or cope with something else.
In my case, the first useful step was simply mapping out what happened before and after I drank. That gave the therapist a place to start without making me choose between the anxiety and the alcohol immediately.