Trauma keeps showing up in places i thought were already healed

Trauma has a way of turning up in places I thought were finished.

I can go months feeling steady, then something small happens and suddenly I’m reacting like I’m back in the original situation. A tone of voice, being left out of a conversation, someone changing plans without explaining. The reaction can feel embarrassing because I know, logically, that the present moment isn’t the past. My body doesn’t always get that memo.

I’ve been trying not to treat these moments as proof that I haven’t healed. Maybe healing isn’t a clean line where certain memories stop having any effect. Maybe it means noticing what happened, giving myself a little time to settle, and choosing what to do next instead of letting the old fear make every decision.

It still gets frustrating, though. I want to be done with it. But I’m starting to see that a flare-up doesn’t erase all the work I’ve already done. It just shows me there is still a tender spot that needs care.

1 Like

@Penny_Rangel, the part about your body not getting the memo really landed with me. I’ve had moments where I understood perfectly well that I was safe, but my shoulders were already tight and my mind was preparing for trouble.

One thing that helps me is waiting a little before deciding what the reaction means. A flare-up can be uncomfortable without being a setback.

1 Like

@Justin_Collins, waiting before deciding what the reaction means has helped me too. I used to treat the first rush of fear as evidence that something was wrong, which usually made my body tense up even more.

Now I try putting both feet on the floor and naming five things I can see before I respond or make any assumptions. It gives my nervous system a little time to catch up with what my mind already knows.