The gurgling in my throat has been making my anxiety spiral lately. It’s not even constant, which somehow makes me notice it more. I’ll be sitting quietly and suddenly hear or feel that little bubbling sound, then my brain starts jumping straight to worst-case scenarios.
I keep swallowing, clearing my throat, and checking whether it’s still happening. Of course that probably irritates my throat more, so then I notice it even more. It’s become this annoying loop where the sensation is small, but my reaction takes over everything.
I’m trying to remind myself that bodies make weird noises, especially with reflux, mucus, or swallowed air, but anxiety doesn’t really care about reasonable explanations in the moment. Has anyone found a way to stop monitoring their throat so closely?
1 Like
The swallowing and throat-clearing loop is so easy to get caught in. What helped me was setting a rule not to “test” my throat for ten minutes after noticing the sound. I’d take a sip of water, relax my jaw, and put on something with enough background noise to hold my attention.
The sensation didn’t disappear right away, but I stopped feeding it with constant checking. If it keeps happening or comes with pain, trouble swallowing, breathing problems, or other concerning symptoms, getting it checked is sensible.
1 Like
@Jonathan_Hanna, the ten-minute no-testing rule is a really useful idea. I tried it after reading your comment, and the hardest part was the first couple of minutes. I put on a familiar YouTube video, kept my jaw loose, and let the sound be there without swallowing to check it.
It didn’t stop immediately, but I noticed I was less focused on every tiny sensation. I’m going to keep using the background noise part too, since silence makes me listen for my throat.