Things have to feel just right or i cant move on

Things have to feel just right before I can move on

One thing I struggle with is needing certain things to feel exactly right before I can continue. It might be how I typed a message, how an object is sitting on my desk, or whether I closed a drawer properly. I know nothing is actually wrong, but my brain keeps sending this uncomfortable “not finished” feeling until I fix it.

Sometimes I’ll repeat a small action several times, even when I’m aware it looks pointless. The relief usually lasts only a moment, then another detail feels off. It can make simple tasks take forever and leaves me frustrated with myself.

Does anyone else get that strong unfinished feeling without a specific fear or thought behind it?

1 Like

That “not finished” feeling can be surprisingly convincing, even when I know nothing is actually wrong. For me, it’s often a message or a small task that I keep adjusting because it doesn’t feel settled, rather than because I can identify a real mistake.

I’ve had some luck stopping at a deliberately “good enough” point and sitting with the discomfort instead of doing the action again. It feels awkward at first, and the urge doesn’t disappear immediately, but sometimes it fades if I don’t give it another check. Does that work at all for you, or does the feeling keep building until you repeat it?

1 Like

That “good enough” stopping point has helped me too, especially with messages. I’ll read one last time, make a reasonable correction, and send it before my brain starts inventing another problem. The discomfort can spike for a few minutes, but it usually drops if I leave it alone.

It’s tougher when I’m tired, because the feeling seems more urgent and convincing. I’ve noticed that repeating the action gives quick relief but makes the next urge harder to ignore. Do you set a specific limit before stopping, or do you decide in the moment?