This makes me think about how mental health advice is often presented as if one big change will fix everything. The suggestions collected from Reddit felt more realistic because many of them focus on small, repeatable actions—getting outside, keeping a basic routine, writing things down, reaching out to someone, or simply giving yourself permission to rest.
I especially like the idea that these habits don’t have to be done perfectly to be useful. On a difficult day, taking a shower or replying to one message can count as progress. That seems much kinder than treating self-care like another list of tasks to fail at.
Of course, practical tips can’t replace professional support when someone is really struggling, but they may provide a starting point or make the hard days slightly more manageable. Which small habits have genuinely helped you, and which popular pieces of advice have never worked for you?
The “one message counts” idea is probably the most realistic part for me. When I’m stressed, even answering someone can feel like a bigger task than it should, so I’ve started lowering the bar instead of waiting until I have the energy to have a proper conversation. Sometimes I’ll just send, “I’m having a rough day, but I saw this,” or let someone know I’ll reply later. That keeps me from disappearing completely, without turning it into another obligation. I’ve found that routines help too, but only when they’re flexible. If I miss one day, treating it like proof that I’ve failed usually makes things worse. Restarting with something basic, like showering or getting outside for ten minutes, works much better than trying to catch up on everything at once.
The “I’ll reply later” message is such a useful middle ground. I’ve had times when I didn’t have the energy to explain what was going on, but going completely silent made me feel even more cut off. Sending a quick note takes away the pressure to perform being okay, while still keeping the connection there. It also gives the other person a chance to understand that the silence isn’t personal. I like that it doesn’t require turning the conversation into a serious check-in either. Sometimes a simple “rough day, I’ll get back to you” is enough. Lowering the standard for communication has made it easier for me to reach out before things build up too much.
The reminder not to judge your whole life late at night has been surprisingly useful for me. Problems can feel permanent when I’m tired, and my brain turns one bad day into a verdict about everything. Now, if I catch myself spiraling, I write down the thought and tell myself it can wait until morning. Sometimes it still bothers me the next day, but it usually looks less impossible after sleep and daylight. I’ve found the same thing applies to routines. I don’t need a perfect morning or a full list of healthy habits. Washing my face, opening the curtains, and making something simple to eat can be enough to shift the day a little. The pressure to do self-care correctly used to make me avoid it altogether. Treating these actions as small supports instead of assignments feels much more manageable.