Surviving divorce with ptsd

Divorce can be a difficult thing for anyone to go through, but when you have PTSD it comes with a whole new set of emotional and psychological challenges. For me, it was especially hard because I was dealing with the effects of trauma, while simultaneously trying to process the pain of ending my marriage.

One of the most important lessons I’ve had to learn is that no two paths are alike. We all travel our own unique journeys, and even if your circumstances are similar to someone else’s, they’re still not exactly the same. Going through this has taught me that it is okay to feel whatever comes up in the face of something as big as divorce, and that there is no one right or wrong way to go about it.

The strongest piece of advice I have is to reach out for help. For me personally, speaking with a therapist about my experiences and emotions has been immensely helpful. It helps me remain aware of how my PTSD symptoms could potentially derail my progress in healing from divorce, and motivate myself when things start to seem overwhelming or too difficult to handle on my own. Everywhere you look there’s some type of help available - friends, family members, therapists (online or local) - so make sure you take advantage of those resources in any way that works best for you.

At the end of the day I choose to be kinder towards myself moving forward than I would never dream of being towards anyone else. Divorce will always be an incredibly tough experience regardless of what life throws at us but we don’t have to do it alone and can find strength in those around us who care about us and want nothing more than our success in overcoming adversity.

1 Like

Hi there, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Divorce is tough on its own, but mixing in PTSD adds a whole new layer of challenges. It’s so important to remember that everyone’s experience is unique, and it’s okay to feel whatever comes up for you. It’s great that you’ve found therapy helpful - having someone to talk to can make all the difference. And you’re right, we don’t have to go through this alone. Surrounding ourselves with supportive people and taking advantage of the help that’s out there can make a huge difference. Keep being kind to yourself - you deserve it. We’ll get through this. Sending you all the positive vibes and strength as you navigate this tough time.