Stress is starting to mess with my head and daily life

Stress has started messing with my head in ways I didn’t expect. I keep losing track of small things, snapping over stuff that normally wouldn’t bother me, and putting off basic chores because they feel strangely overwhelming. Last week I forgot an appointment even though I’d written it down, which shook me more than it probably should have.

I’ve been sleeping badly too, so maybe that’s feeding the whole cycle. I can feel myself becoming less patient and more withdrawn, and I don’t like how much it’s affecting ordinary parts of my day. Has anyone found a practical way to get their head back under control before stress takes over everything?

1 Like

@Bradley_Gilmore, the forgotten appointment would have shaken me too. When sleep is off, even simple reminders don’t always stick, so I’ve started using one calendar alert and one physical note where I’ll see it.

For chores, I pick one tiny task and set a ten-minute timer instead of trying to fix everything at once. I noticed that lowering the starting point helped me feel less stuck.

2 Likes

@Elizabeth_Miller, the physical note has helped me more than another phone alert. I put it beside the coffee maker, since that’s one place I’m guaranteed to look each morning.

The ten-minute timer is useful too. I’ve started stopping when it rings, even if the task isn’t finished. Knowing I’m not signing up for an endless chore makes it much easier to begin.

@Elizabeth_Miller, putting the physical note somewhere you’ll naturally see it seems more reliable than expecting a tired brain to remember another notification. I’ve started leaving things by my keys, since I usually notice them before heading out.

The ten-minute limit is a good idea too. I tend to make chores feel like a full afternoon project, then avoid them altogether. Do you usually choose the task beforehand, or decide once the timer starts?