Stress and depression keep making me worry about everything

Stress and depression have me worrying about pretty much everything lately. Some of it is real stuff I need to deal with, but my brain doesn’t seem to care about the difference. A small problem turns into ten possible disasters, and then I spend hours replaying conversations or imagining things going wrong.

The annoying part is that even when nothing is happening, I still feel like I should be preparing for something. I can be sitting at home and my thoughts are racing like I’ve forgotten something important. It makes it hard to focus, sleep, or enjoy anything without feeling guilty about it.

I’m trying to catch myself before the worry gets too far, but some days it feels automatic. Usually I need to slow down and deal with one small thing instead of trying to solve my whole life at once. That doesn’t fix everything, but it keeps the stress from becoming completely overwhelming.

2 Likes

@Lindsey_Moore, that feeling of needing to prepare for something even when you’re sitting safely at home is exhausting. I get caught in that “forgotten something” feeling too, and checking everything rarely gives me the relief I expect.

What helps me sometimes is writing down the one problem that actually needs attention, then giving myself permission to leave the rest for tomorrow. Do you find the worry is worse at a certain time of day, especially when you’re trying to sleep?

@Lindsey_Moore, the guilt that shows up when you try to enjoy something really gets me. I’ve had times where I’m watching a show or sitting down to eat, but part of my mind is insisting I should be handling some problem instead.

The one-small-thing approach helps me too, especially if I write down the other worries instead of trying to hold them all in my head. Seeing them on paper makes them feel a little less urgent. It doesn’t stop the thoughts completely, but it gives me a place to put them for a while.