Starting trauma treatment and learning how to feel safe again

Starting trauma treatment has been less about digging into the past and more about learning what safety actually feels like. I expected therapy to begin with detailed memories, but my therapist keeps bringing me back to basic things like noticing my feet on the floor, looking around the room, and recognizing when my body is tense before my thoughts catch up.

One memory that keeps coming up is sitting in my car outside an appointment for almost twenty minutes, even though I was early. Nothing dangerous was happening, but leaving the car felt safer than walking inside. I eventually went in and told my therapist exactly that. It felt small, but also like the first honest step.

Some days I can calm myself down, and other days I feel restless or numb for no obvious reason. I’m trying not to treat that as failure. It seems like my nervous system needs proof, over and over, that the present is different from the past.

Has anyone else found that the early stage of trauma treatment focused more on building safety than discussing the trauma itself?

2 Likes

@Logan_Hall, sitting in the car and then telling your therapist exactly what was happening sounds like a meaningful step. I’ve had moments where my body reacted before I could explain why, and naming it out loud made it feel less mysterious and less shameful.

The grounding work can seem almost too basic at first, but noticing tension or numbness gives me something to work with before everything becomes overwhelming. I’ve found that safety has to be practiced repeatedly, especially on the days when calm doesn’t come easily.

@Logan_Hall, the part about sitting in the car before the appointment hit home. I’ve had that same pause before things that were objectively safe, where my body acted like crossing the doorway was a major threat. Naming it instead of pretending I was fine made the appointment feel more manageable.

One concrete thing that helped me was pressing both feet into the floor and slowly naming five neutral things I could see before going inside. It gave me something present-day to focus on without forcing myself to feel calm immediately. Safety started feeling less like a thought and more like a small physical choice I could repeat.

1 Like

@Jordan_Dominguez, I like that you didn’t make the goal “feel calm” before going inside. That takes some pressure off. Sometimes I can manage the next ten seconds even when I can’t convince my whole body that I’m safe.

The five neutral things are a good idea. I’ve used a similar trick by noticing the texture of my keys and naming the room I’m in. It gives my attention somewhere concrete to land instead of arguing with the fear.