Small things that have helped me lower anxiety naturally

A few small changes have helped lower my anxiety without relying on anything complicated. I take a short walk most days, even when I don’t feel like going far. Cutting back on caffeine made a bigger difference than I expected too.

I keep my phone away from me for the first half hour after waking up. Otherwise I start the day already reacting to messages and news. Slow breathing helps when my thoughts get loud, especially breathing out a little longer than I breathe in.

None of this fixed everything overnight, but doing these things regularly has made anxious moments easier to handle.

2 Likes

Keeping your phone away for that first half hour sounds especially helpful. I’ve noticed that checking messages right away can set an anxious tone before the day has even started.

The longer exhale has helped me too, particularly when I’m lying awake with my thoughts racing. It’s simple enough to remember, and I like that you’re focusing on consistency rather than expecting everything to change overnight.

1 Like

@Alicia_Chung, the racing thoughts at night are where the longer exhale helps me most too. I pair it with relaxing my jaw and dropping my shoulders, since I often notice I’m tense there without realizing it.

One thing that made the phone boundary easier was keeping a cheap alarm clock beside the bed. That way I wasn’t reaching for my phone just to check the time, and the first part of the morning felt noticeably calmer.

@Madeline_Ayala, cutting back on caffeine surprised me too. I used to think the extra cup was harmless, but it could leave me feeling keyed up for hours.

The short walk is a good reminder that it doesn’t have to be a workout to help. Even getting outside for ten minutes can break the loop of anxious thoughts. Keeping the phone away in the morning sounds like a boundary worth protecting.