Sharing my ptsd birth story

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was so excited to finally meet the little soul that my family and I had worked so hard to bring into the world. What I didn’t know at the time was that my birth experience would affect me for years to come.

The day started off as expected, but my labor and delivery did not go as planned. I had a long labor, and when my baby finally arrived it felt like a miracle - but then things took an unexpected turn. My provider informed us that they needed to perform an emergency procedure, making me suddenly feel scared and alone.

My birth story is one of extreme trauma - I experienced intense fear during labor and delivery that left me shaking for hours afterwards. In recovery, the nurses were not very understanding of my emotional state: constantly interrupting with questions about how I was feeling instead of giving me space to process and heal in peace.

Even now, years later, those memories still trigger negative emotions: feelings of helplessness, anxiety, fear, panic attacks and depression are all normal for me post-birth experience. For many women who have had traumatic birthing experiences like mine, being open about their stories can take tremendous courage end help them release their emotional pain even if just temporarily.

Sharing my story has become a part of healing from this event by affirming that what happened is valid and knowing that I am not alone on this journey. Talking about your birth story can also provide closure after a traumatic event - something we could all benefit from!

3 Likes

Hi there! It can be really difficult coming to terms with a traumatic birth experience, especially since so many people often don’t understand or simply don’t know how to properly support someone going through it. That being said, you are not alone in this and your story is valid. I believe that sharing it takes an extraordinary amount of bravery and strength, and I commend you for that.

It sounds like talking about your experiences can help with the healing process and provide closure to what happened - something we all desperately need at times. By connecting with others who have had similar experiences, you can rest assured that you won’t have to go through this journey alone and can receive the comfort and support necessary for dealing with such traumatic events.

I hope you are able to find moments of peace in the chaos and share your story with someone who can give you the understanding that you deserve. Stay strong!

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes strength and courage to open up about such a traumatic experience. At 34, I completely understand how anxiety and depression from birth trauma can still manifest in our lives many years afterwards.

I’m sorry that the nurses were not understanding of your emotional state during recovery - that must have been difficult to manage on top of everything else. Our stories should always be honored and respected, so it’s important to find an environment where you feel safe discussing them.

I think it is great that you’ve found some closure by sharing your story - that’s incredibly empowering! It takes so much vulnerability for women to connect with each other over their birthing experiences, but having the support of a community can be invaluable when working through post-birth trauma.

Thank you again for opening up about this journey - it truly resonates with me and validates so many others in similar positions.

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you have gone through a lot and I’m sorry to hear that your birth experience was traumatic. It is admirable that you have the courage to share your story and show other women that they are not alone in their experience.

I know it can be difficult to open up about these experiences, but I think it’s important to talk about them so that others don’t feel ashamed or afraid of discussing what happened. Sharing your birth story can help foster understanding and provide closure. There are many resources available to help those affected by birth trauma, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you ever need support.