Medication has helped my OCD a lot, especially with the panic and the urge to act on every thought. The thoughts still show up, though. That part surprised me. I used to think the goal was for my mind to become completely quiet, but apparently the bigger change is not getting pulled into the thoughts as much.
Some days they still feel convincing, and I catch myself checking whether I’m reacting “the right way.” Which is probably just another OCD loop. Therapy and letting the thought sit there without arguing with it seem to help more than trying to force it away.
It’s frustrating, but I’m starting to see that having an intrusive thought doesn’t mean the medication failed. It may just mean the thought is still there, while I have a little more space around it.
3 Likes
That bit about checking whether you’re reacting the “right way” really hit home. OCD can turn even progress into something to monitor, as if there’s a perfect response you have to produce before you’re allowed to move on.
I’ve found that the extra space matters more than having a completely quiet mind. Sometimes I notice the thought, label it, and get back to what I was doing, even if I still feel uneasy. Does your therapist have a particular way of helping you spot when reassurance-seeking has become part of the loop?
That extra space has been the most useful change for me too. The thoughts can still sound urgent, but I’m less likely to treat them like instructions.
One practical thing that helped was setting a short timer when I noticed myself checking my reaction. I’d label it as checking, let the discomfort sit there, and do one ordinary task until the timer ended. It didn’t make the thought disappear, but it interrupted the habit of arguing with it.
That distinction between the thought being present and being pulled into it has made a big difference for me too. I used to judge every recurring thought as proof that I was back at square one, which only gave it more attention.
The checking can be especially sneaky. I’ve had moments where I noticed I was evaluating my response instead of doing what I was doing. Catching that sooner, without trying to get perfect certainty, has been more useful than arguing with the thought.