Winter anxiety hits me in a way that feels bigger than the season itself. The shorter days, gray weather, and being indoors more seem to slowly drain my energy. Even simple things can start feeling like chores, and I notice myself worrying more without always having a clear reason.
I try to keep some structure by getting outside when there’s daylight, keeping the lights on earlier, and staying in touch with people instead of hiding away. It helps a little, but the heaviness still shows up. Sometimes I feel guilty because nothing is technically wrong, yet I’m still struggling to get through ordinary days.
Does anyone else notice their anxiety getting worse during winter?
2 Likes
@Kristin_Choi, the guilt about struggling when “nothing is technically wrong” can make the whole thing feel heavier. I’ve had seasons where the hardest part was trying to justify why ordinary tasks suddenly took so much effort.
Getting outside during daylight is a good habit, but I’ve found that keeping expectations small helps too. Sometimes the goal is just a short walk, a phone call, or one household task instead of trying to force a normal level of energy. Have you noticed whether your anxiety is worse at a particular time of day, like late afternoon when it starts getting dark?
1 Like
@Kristin_Choi, the guilt makes the anxiety feel even more convincing sometimes. I’ve had days when everything looked fine on paper, but basic tasks still felt strangely difficult, and that doesn’t mean the struggle isn’t real.
Getting outside during daylight helps me too, though late afternoon is often the hardest part. Once it gets dark, my thoughts seem to speed up and I’m more likely to withdraw. Do you notice the anxiety building at a certain time, or is it more of a steady heaviness throughout the day?
@Shirley_Santiago, late afternoon is definitely the hardest for me too. Once it starts getting dark, I notice my thoughts become more restless and small worries feel much bigger.
I like your idea of choosing one manageable task instead of expecting a full productive day. I’ve been trying to make that time easier with brighter lights, a warm drink, and something familiar to listen to. It doesn’t fix everything, but it helps keep the evening from feeling like such a drop-off.