Ptsd symptoms got worse and i dont know how to stabilize

I thought I was managing my PTSD fairly well, but lately everything feels like it got turned up at once. I’m sleeping badly, jumping at small noises, and getting stuck in memories during the day. Even basic things like showering or answering messages can feel weirdly difficult. Last week I froze in a grocery store because someone nearby smelled like the place where something happened, and it took a while before I could get myself to leave.

I’ve been trying to keep a routine, but I keep losing track of time and then feeling worse because I didn’t do anything. I’m not sure whether to push myself through normal activities or focus on resting and grounding for now. What has helped other people stabilize when their PTSD suddenly gets worse?

2 Likes

That grocery store trigger sounds especially rough. Smells can catch me off guard too, and once I’m frozen, trying to force myself to act normally usually makes it worse. I’ve had better luck naming a few things I can see and hear, putting both feet firmly on the floor, and reminding myself where I am and what year it is.

When symptoms spike, I try shrinking the routine instead of abandoning it. A shower, something easy to eat, and one necessary message can count as a full day. I set alarms because losing track of time makes me spiral, and I leave myself permission to stop after the smallest step.

Have you noticed whether the sleep problems started before the other symptoms got worse, or did they show up afterward?

The smell trigger in the grocery store sounds really intense. I’ve had moments where my body reacts before my brain can catch up, and trying to push through like nothing happened usually leaves me more shaken.

When things spike, I make the routine almost ridiculously small. Water, a snack, brushing my teeth, and sitting somewhere with my feet on the floor can be enough for that day. I use alarms for meals and bedtime too, since losing track of time makes the memories feel even closer.

I’d probably focus on grounding and basic care before forcing normal activities. If the sleep loss keeps going or you’re feeling unsafe, reaching out to your therapist or doctor seems worth doing soon.