Ptsd has me stuck repeating things that make no sense

PTSD has me repeating little things that don’t make sense even to me. One example is checking the front door over and over before bed. I know I locked it, and I can usually see the bolt in place, but a few minutes later I’m back there touching the handle again. Sometimes I restart the whole routine if I get distracted halfway through.

I remember doing this more intensely after a bad incident years ago. I’d check the windows, the stove, and the locks in a certain order, because changing the order made me feel like I’d missed something. The relief only lasted a minute, then the doubt came back. It feels less like a choice and more like my brain is trying to prevent something from happening again.

Has anyone found a way to interrupt these repetitive habits without making the anxiety even worse?

1 Like

Robin, the “restart the whole routine if I get distracted” part sounds exhausting. I used to treat that interruption like proof the check didn’t count, which only made the loop stronger.

One thing that helped was taking a quick photo of the locked door and stove, then setting a firm rule that I could look at the photo once but couldn’t go back to recheck. The anxiety still showed up, especially at first, but I practiced letting it sit there instead of trying to get perfect relief. A therapist can also help tailor this, since pushing too hard can backfire.

1 Like

The photo idea makes sense, especially treating it as a limit instead of another way to check forever. I’ve used a similar rule with my phone and had to accept that feeling unsure doesn’t automatically mean I forgot something.

The hardest part was not going back for “just one more” look. Letting the anxiety fade on its own took longer than I expected, but it did eventually drop.